(Sips vodka) Okay, “hate” is a strong word. I loathe, detest, abhor religion. I have biases like everyone and I manage to keep them to myself. Nevertheless, I can’t keep this beef I have against religion to myself. No, no… I can’t respect a belief system that hurts people.
(Sips more vodka) If this would help, I had a frank conversation with a priest and he admitted two things about religion.
- It is the opium of the masses – it numbs your pain. It stops people from revolting. It keeps them silent. It peddles false hope to the poor.
- Religion is not the guarantee of morality – if religiosity guaranteed morality, Nigeria would not have been fantastically corrupt.
Here are my reasons for hating religion:
- It has made Nigerians so fucking stupid. The poor man goes to a religious centre and listens to the message of hope. Hope is irrational! Hope makes you believe you will find water in a dry well. Nigerians have become docile and accepting.
- Religion is a political tool, too. People are not revolting. People believe in a happy heaven; however, their clerics are living their own heaven here on earth. I define religion as “politicising and monetising spirituality”.
- Religion is the basis of all oppression. People support their hate with scripture.
- These religious centres are noisy as fuck. If their deities (they would not have so much beef if they believed they worshiped the same deity) were listening, their noisy religious sessions would have fixed the economy. A deity that did not stop the genocide of its people (Israelites) doesn’t have your fucking time.
- Religion is just stupid. (Sips some more) That which defiles logic is stupid. What they tell you is, “Oh… there are contradictions…” Bla-di-da-di-da. Any story replete with contradictions is a fucking lie. Has religion given you logical answers to anything?
Because religion has dragged people into stupidity, I detest it.
And clerics rob people in the name of a deity that sits and does nothing. That deity is complicit. A deity that allows evil in its name is evil. End of story.
A deity could prevent murder, but no, it allows murder. To what end? “God knows best,” they’d say. “You can’t question god.”
Fuck that! My mind was meant to question things, not readily lap up words pouring from the mouths of sociopaths that twist spirituality to suit their selfish ends.
I will never respect something that encourages hate.
On that note, fuck religion!